Re: Mozilla tries to get you to install non-free software

On ti, 2003-09-09 at 23:24, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 01:17:42PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > I'm much more annoyed/concerned that mozilla, mozilla-firebird, and
> > galeon all obtrusuvely offer (over and over again and there's no obvious
> > way to even turn it off) to install non-free software every time I visit
> > a site with flash on it. I think that's an example of something not
> > unlike installer packages in _main_ that ought to be dealt with.
>
> Hear, hear.

Galeon does not offer to do that for me, actually. If there is, say, a
flash animation on a page, it displays a "puzzle piece" icon and if I
click on it, it tells me that a plugin is missing: "This page contains
information of a type (application/x-shockwave-flash) that can only be
viewed with the appropriate Plug-in.". No offer to install anything.

Galeon 1.3.7. I wonder what I'm doing differently.

(There are, of course, attempts at writing free flash viewers, but
they've never worked for me to such a degree that I would want to use
one. Maybe one day.)

> It's extra stupid because proper executables under ANY license aren't
> even available for most of our architectures.

Indeed.

(To continue using flash as an example: it doesn't help that Macromedia
prohibits making more than one copy for backup purposes. One would then
have to deal with the flash viewer specially if one had, say, daily
backups going backwards for a week, which is typical in many locations.)

--
http://liw.iki.fi/liw/photos/swordmaiden/