Re: better make a standard for /etc/*/*_not_to_be_run

Bernd Eckenfels <lists@lina.inka.de> writes:

> AFAIK RH/SuSE is also doing this on a different level, cant remeber about
> irix, i think they had no sys v stile init scripts, at all.

Irix does have sysv init scripts.  Irix has a chkconfig script that
checks stuff stored in /etc/defaults.  So in an init script you'll
typically find stuff like this:

IS_ON=/etc/chkconfig
SSHD=/usr/local/sbin/sshd

if $IS_ON verbose; then
    ECHO=echo
else
    ECHO=:
fi

case "$1" in
    start)
        if $IS_ON sshd && test -x $SSHD; then

Not that I recommend this, by any means; this is just a data point.
rc?.d is definitely the right way to control this stuff.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>