Re: better make a standard for /etc/*/*_not_to_be_run

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:46:26 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> It is not broken at all. Due to the way sysv-rc works, no symlink
> at all means "undefined state".  If you go to a runlevel where
> something is started (It has a S symlink), then back to a
> runlevel with no symlink, the service is left alone (i.e. started).

I agree that if there is no symlink for a runlevel then the
state of the service (running/stopped) should not be changed
on entering that runlevel.

The problem originally reported in #156161 is that invoke-rc.d
_starts_ a service in a runlevel which _lacks_ a symlink.

> Anyway, no symlink = undefined behaviour.

This contradicts what you said above: no symlink = no change.

--
Thomas