Re: better make a standard for /etc/*/*_not_to_be_run

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 07:30:17AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> Just these so far?
> $ ls /etc/*/*_not_to_be_run
> /etc/apache/apache_not_to_be_run  /etc/ssh/sshd_not_to_be_run
> Any more?

Ahh, no!  Please!  I never thought this was a nice way to disable
services.  It just doesn't feel clean at all.  I much prefer the way
packages like snmpd handle this.  /etc/default/snmpd is sourced by the
startup script and sets a variable SNMPDRUN=yes.  Change yes to no if
you don't want to run it.

OTOH, isn't this the kind of kludge that invoke-rc.d is supposed to fix?
This *does* exist in policy.  From section 9.3.3.2:
       The program invoke-rc.d is provided to make it easier for package
       maintainers to properly invoke an initscript, obeying runlevel
       and other locally-defined constraints that might limit a
       package's right to start, stop and otherwise manage services.
       This program may be used by maintainers in their packages'
       scripts.

noah