Re: Getting patches into packages, thought and ideas [Was: Re: About NM and Next Release]

Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 05:34:20AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> If you actually dig into the list, you'll find that many of the bugs
> with patches fall into the same category as these two. Most of the
> rest actually need significant attention, not NMUs (I usually remove
> the patch tag from those when I spot them).

Sounds like a reasonable practice to remove the tag.

> > > Unless they wanted to co-maintain the package - and a non-developer
> > > could do all the important stuff for that anyway (bug triage).
> >
> > Can one get the same list of packages with patches but sorted by the
> > time since the last activity? Or date of the patch? Or a list of
> > packages with patches for an older version?
>
> These things are all doable but difficult, and usually involve some
> scripting to extract the information you want; I've done it once or
> twice. But it's somewhat imprecise.

Someone with experience of the BTS code should script this and add it
to the webpage so NMs and DDs can easily find packages worth investing
time. Going through bugreports and skipping 80% because one can't help
them in any way doesn't encourage to help.

Esspecially some mechanism that checks the version of a package
against the version a patch was for would be good. The BTS could even
send a mail to the submitter saying a new version was uploaded, please
check your patch.

> > Non-DDs could pick up an old patch and see to it that it works with a
> > newer version. Might be something they could get get credits for on
> > their application.
> >
> > Is there a space on the application where sponsors or maintainer who
> > see good work being done by the NM can give comments. Surely the DAM
> > can't follow all sponsored uploads or patches send to the bts so he
> > might easily overlook an productive NM.
>
> It's the AMs role to collate this sort of information; people can mail
> comments to them (the AM should actively seek it out as well), and
> applicants are always asked what they are doing/planning to do from
> the outset.

Can the AM add it to the application? Why not show such comments on
the applications webpage? Have a "comments" field just like the
"packages" field or something.

MfG
        Goswin