Re: Getting patches into packages, thought and ideas [Was: Re: About NM and Next Release]

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 05:34:20AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > It's not like a developer could do anything more, in these two
>
> That being true still doesn't help non DDs to contribute.

Indeed, but it also means that they are not reasons why people should
be given accounts.

> > cases. Any developer who NMUs a package with an active maintainer, to
> > fix minor/wishlist bugs, should be repeatedly kicked in the head. So
> > your argument kinda falls flat. If you are suggesting that you would
> > NMU either of these packages to fix these bugs, then it suddenly
> > becomes very clear to me why you do not have an account.
>
> No I wouldn't. Those two are bad examples for NMU'able debs. But the
> list of debs with patches is very long. And a new DD might have more
> time than the current ones that already have several packages they
> maintain.

If you actually dig into the list, you'll find that many of the bugs
with patches fall into the same category as these two. Most of the
rest actually need significant attention, not NMUs (I usually remove
the patch tag from those when I spot them).

> > Unless they wanted to co-maintain the package - and a non-developer
> > could do all the important stuff for that anyway (bug triage).
>
> Can one get the same list of packages with patches but sorted by the
> time since the last activity? Or date of the patch? Or a list of
> packages with patches for an older version?

These things are all doable but difficult, and usually involve some
scripting to extract the information you want; I've done it once or
twice. But it's somewhat imprecise.

> Non-DDs could pick up an old patch and see to it that it works with a
> newer version. Might be something they could get get credits for on
> their application.
>
> Is there a space on the application where sponsors or maintainer who
> see good work being done by the NM can give comments. Surely the DAM
> can't follow all sponsored uploads or patches send to the bts so he
> might easily overlook an productive NM.

It's the AMs role to collate this sort of information; people can mail
comments to them (the AM should actively seek it out as well), and
applicants are always asked what they are doing/planning to do from
the outset.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |