Re: Future releases of Debian

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 16:40, Jamin W. Collins wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 04:25:57PM +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 19:34, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> >
> > > So, are you volunteering to help those of us without access to
> > > either of the above architectures with "bugs" found in our packages?
> > > I'm not saying that all architectures shouldn't be supported
> > > equally.  I just don't have access to either of the above
> > > architectures to correct problems found in my packages.
> >
> > Strange, the rest of us Debian Developers have access to all of these
> > strange platforms ... http://raw.no/debian/machines.html
>
> By "the rest of us Debian Developers" I assume you mean *full* Debian
> Developers (those of you with DD accounts).  Perhaps you haven't read
> the rest of this thread.  I'm not a *full* DD and thus don't have access
> to all the resources a *full* DD has.  As I've inferred elsewhere this is
> one of the problems with keeping NMs in queue waiting on one approval
> for several months (and potentially years).

Incorrect.

You have access to the full resources, just not automatically.  You can
maintain packages as easily as a full developer can, you just need a
sponsor to upload it for you.

You can get accounts on these machines, you just need to ask first.

You appear to be suffering from a lack of initiative.

> > If your package has a bug affecting arm, login to debussy and fix it.
> > If your package has a bug affecting mips, login to casals and fix it.
> > If your package has a bug affecting m68k, login to kullervo and fix it.
>
> Would be happy to.  Unfortunately, I can't, don't have an account.

Ask for one then.  Sheesh, with this defeatist attitude how do you ever
expect to become a D-D?

> > Who is sick of this "I don't have an m68k box to fix my bug" excuse.
>
> That's cool, because I'm a little sick of the assumptions that someone
> has access to resources because they maintain X package.  Not everyone
> listed on http://www.debian.org/devel/people is a full Debian Developer.
> As such, not all of them have access to the resources available to full
> Debian Developers, or even the rights of them.  Yet, we are expected to
> function as one and are berated by some DDs when we state we don't have
> access to some resources.

I think other answers in this thread speak for themselves.  If you've
not even tried asking for an account to fix some bugs, then you're
obviously not that interested fixing them.

Scott