Re: Future releases of Debian

On 21-Jul-03, 16:10 (CDT), Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> wrote:
> Don't you agree that game industry is not a minor industry related to
> computers?

All I meant to ask was for a clarification of "card Foo is unsupported".
My *personal* experience is that I've gotten a wide variety of cards
to work acceptably in 2D mode, and that often people say "card Foo is
unsupported" when what they mean is a "I can't run Quake (or whatever)
on card Foo". These are related to the people who say "the stable
release is hopelessly outdated and useless" when in fact quite a few
people (myself included) have a variety of servers and desktops running
the Debian stable release, and amazingly enough, continue to get work
done with them.

I didn't mean to slam games, but to point out that "lack of hardware 3d"
is not the same as "useless".

Thanks to the others for clarifying, and while I can be quite happy
(well, accepting) with the performance of 2D VESA modes (admittedly with
the eye-candy turned down), I'll happily conceed that it's not the best
of all possible worlds.

> Well, sit in front of your computer for about 15 minutes and you'll
> see the big picture (if you have xscreensaver installed, indeed).

Eyecandy. Nice eyecandy for sure, but hardly worth making *the* basis of
hardware and software choice.

> I have no problem with the packages included in woody but defending
> them by telling that nobody cares about using its hardware at his
> full capacity (in fact, at least at 50% of it's capacity) seems just
> wrong.

I didn't say that nobody cared, what I said (or at least meant to imply)
was that a great many of us *don't* care about such things, and making
absolute statements (either way) is not useful in determining how Debian
does things.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland