Re: Future releases of Debian

Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> wrote:
> On 21-Jul-03, 03:32 (CDT), Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:
>> Please doublecheck.  Looking at the price-list of a local dealer, I
>> see these non-super-3d Cards:

>> Matrox G550. Not supported by 4.1.
>> ATI Chips using Rage128(Pro). ATI keeps the name but changes the ChipID,
>>       the newer variants need new XFree86. (The already not available
>>       Radeon 7500 needed 4.2.0 or later, too).
>> Kyro. Hoho.
>> Lowend Nvidia cards. The MX440 is not supported by XFree86 4.1.
>> Integrated Graphic on Intel Boards. (They often have a decent signal).
>>       XFree86 4.1 does not support the i830
>> Integrated Graphic on Nvidia Boards. nVidia nForce is not supported by
>>       XFree86 4.1.

> Don't these cards all support normal VESA modes?

VESA equals 60Hz in most modes which makes it useless if you aren't
running a TFT (and even if you owned a TFT you probably could not use
it if it was connected to the DVI port.)

> Are you saying that I can't run a X on these cards, or that I can't
> run HW accelerated 3D on these cards?

I am not talking about accelerated 3D.

> Remember, there's a large
> population out here who simply don't care about games.

As I matter of fact I do not care about games on Linux either (I do
not think many people really do), but most people care about sensible
refresh-rates and many do care for 2D-accel (including XVideo, nice
for playing Videos and DVDs) or antialising (Xrender).

Just for fun I just switched "mga" for "vesa" in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
and ended up with 640x480 @60Hz and a virtual screen of 800x600 instead
of the 1024x786@85 I am used to. Just moing windows was slow too. Test
it yourself!
                   cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_