Re: Future releases of Debian

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 12:29:40AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> it's often non-trivial to find a new graphics card that is supported by
>> XFree86[...]if you want to use Debian 3.0 [2].

> It's _what_?

> It may be difficult to get 3D acceleration for the
> gamer-card-of-the-week, but by no means is it difficult to find a
> new graphics card which is well-supported by XFree86 in woody.

Please doublecheck.  Looking at the price-list of a local dealer, I
see these non-super-3d Cards:

Matrox G550. Not supported by 4.1.
ATI Chips using Rage128(Pro). ATI keeps the name but changes the ChipID,
      the newer variants need new XFree86. (The already not available
      Radeon 7500 needed 4.2.0 or later, too).
Kyro. Hoho.
Lowend Nvidia cards. The MX440 is not supported by XFree86 4.1.
Integrated Graphic on Intel Boards. (They often have a decent signal).
      XFree86 4.1 does not support the i830
Integrated Graphic on Nvidia Boards. nVidia nForce is not supported by
      XFree86 4.1.

Personally I've waited until I could get my fingers on a cheap used
Matrox G400, but neither waiting nor used is an option for everybody.
                   cu andreas