Re: Future releases of Debian

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 11:45, Steve Greenland wrote:
> Don't these cards all support normal VESA modes? Are you saying that I
> can't run a X on these cards, or that I can't run HW accelerated 3D on
> these cards? Remember, there's a large population out here who simply
> don't care about games.

"Normal VESA modes" are incredibly painful. This isn't hardware
accelerated 3D, this is the ability to use a large resolution or high
color depth, have a refresh rate higher than 60Hz, or -- essentially --
take advantage of any PC video card development since around 1993. DGA,
double-buffering in video memory, XVideo, whatever.

When I was using the VESA driver for the Radeon Mobility in my laptop,
such 3D-intensive tasks as loading GNOME, or rendering a page in
Mozilla, took significantly (2x or more) longer.

And, I believe some of the onboard Intel cards don't support normal VESA
modes. I might be mistaken, but I remember that the i810 required DRI
and a kernel driver, for normal operation.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>