Re: Work-needing packages report for Jul 11, 2003

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 10:08:37PM +0300, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@raw.no> writes:
> > They do.  They just get to wait less, since at some point (at least
> > for debian-installer), we get tired of applying their patches and give
> > them a CVS account.  After that has gone on for a while, we get tired
> > of uploading and checking their packages, so we pester the DAM to get
> > the account created.
>
> So, you're saying that the NM process is redundant. I could get DD
> status by simply contributing enough until enough people like my stuff
> and get tired of constant uploads - why should I try to go through the
> NM process at all?

As a note of reference, particularly to NM-queue folks: this is more or
less exactly what used to happen, so far as I can make out from
statements by longtime DDs and archive mails.

You got to be a DD by submitting patches to bugs, doing work that others
considered valuble (in more than one case, AFAICT, rebuilding packages a la
the C++ transition, with uploads done by something much resembling today's
sponsorship), and generally just being around enough until someone poked
the folks in charge and said "make <foo> a Developer".

I suspect this is a large part of why many of the older developers don't
see this as a problem, innately - I also suspect that they might hold a
different opinion if they spent 8-12 months in that situation.

Or perhaps not.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>