Re: Work-needing packages report for Jul 11, 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 01:25:12PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:06:38AM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:
>
> > Because it's inconvenient for everyone involved. Sometimes that
> > inconvenience is worth it (especially if one has confidence that it
> > will be in the short term, and it's being done in part to
> > demonstrate that one can, in fact, do the technical part of being a
> > DD properly).
>
> It is my opinion that people who find it too inconvenient to work with
> an existing maintainer to review and upload their packages are
> unlikely to make a useful contribution as a maintainer.

I'm fairly certian that if I asked my sponsor to accept a few more
packages, they would.  The point is I don't feel I should have to, for
two reasons.

One, the longer I wait (without any update) and the longer I see others
wait (again without any update), the less it seems that Debian is open
to contributions from "outsiders".

Two, my sponsor has a life outside of Debian.  He has a family and
child.  He's already doing me the favor of being my sponsor and helping
with the packages I already have in Debian.  Why should I ask him to
sacrifice more of his personal time for something I know I can handle on
my own.  If I need help with packages/bugs, I know where to look and
ask.

--
Jamin W. Collins

To be nobody but yourself when the whole world is trying it's best night
and day to make you everybody else is to fight the hardest battle any
human being will fight. -- E.E. Cummings