Re: Work-needing packages report for Jul 11, 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 01:25:12PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:06:38AM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:
>
> > Because it's inconvenient for everyone involved. Sometimes that
> > inconvenience is worth it (especially if one has confidence that it will be
> > in the short term, and it's being done in part to demonstrate that one can,
> > in fact, do the technical part of being a DD properly).
>
> It is my opinion that people who find it too inconvenient to work with an
> existing maintainer to review and upload their packages are unlikely to make
> a useful contribution as a maintainer.

Gee. Let's try reading it again, with context, and perhaps the paragraph
following the one you quoted.

I didn't say that it was unreasonable to expect an NM to go through the
inconvenience of sponsorship, especially to demonstrate that they had
their stuff down and knew what they were doing, technically. I said it
was unreasonable to put a speedbump in the road, *and expect people to
go full speed*.

We add the inconvenience not for it's own sake, but to make sure everything
is kosher and we don't let bad packaging into the distribution. I'm all for
that. But I don't expect people to do lots of work that is inconvenient to
them, unless either A) they care about the results enough that it's worth
it, or B) they wait until it's not so inconvenient.

Anyone claiming it's not inconvenient should spend half a year or so doing
it, then try to make the claim with a straight face.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>