package list caching system for apt

I have this idea, based on switching between a set of
CDs and other apt sources on a computer with a slow
modem, and being that 7 cds takes a good few minutes
to scan sequentially.  instead of running apt-cdrom
add, or modifying my sources.list and running apt-get
update, i want to create a script that will either
list all the cached sources, allow me to add or remove
a cached source from the active list of availble
packages, or add or remove any one or more of these
package caches from the stored caches.  for example,
"ftp://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ stable main contrib
non-free" does not change frequently.  however on a
56k modem, especially when shared between four
computers, it can take up to 20 minutes to download
the package list.  instead i want a script that when i
run "script-name add ftp://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/
stable main contrib non-free"  my computer will add
that list of packages based on a cache on my computer.
 likewise, it would store a list of different CDs and
cache those package lists as well.
what files are used to store the current list of
packages and how are they formatted?  if anyone has
any other ideas/features, let me know.