Re: Work-needing packages report for Jul 11, 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 12:44:08AM +0200, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> I think that it was very similar mood how people were talking about
> the situation including myself.  Then all of sudden, many people got
> approved.  It was not FIFO.  There were clearly some judgements made
> by DAM.  It was not just technical skill of programming.
>
> Yes I agree this is too long.  But while waiting, please continue
> helping debian in a constructive manner.

I am and have been.  I currently maintain two packages already in the
archive (one adopted, one added) via a sponsor.  However, I have several
others (Jabber transports and services) that I would like to add
(they've been requested repeatedly), but do not wish to burden my
current sponsor with them.

Additionally, I feel that the current NM process is very broken WRT to
the DAM approval stage and that the only way it will be fixed is through
someone being very vocal about it.  There have been repeated posts
regarding NM's feeling lost and abandonded during this stage.  However,
nothing seems to have ever come of them.  So, we find ourselves here
again.

Do current Debian Developers feel that the process does not need
changing?  Is the DPL truly content to have people awaiting DAM approval
for in exccess of 2 to 3 years?  I would certainly hope the answer to
both these questions is an emphatic, "NO!".  Unfortunately, I am not yet
a Debian Developer and it remains to be seen if I will ever become a
Debian Developer after these outbursts.  However, I would hope that the
current Debian Developers take action and correct this process with due
haste.

I don't feel that the problem(s) I've point out WRT regard to the DAM
process have been anything other than an attempt to constructively help
Debian.  I see the process as broken and lack the authority to correct
it.  So, I've brought it to the attention of those with the authority to
correct it.  It remains to be seen if they feel it is broken, and if so,
what they propose to correct it.

> DAM has tough job making these judgement call and he can only do them in
> a batch.  The last cycle was the time around when you were sent to DAM.

Which is part of the problem, that's nearly 6 months between batch
cycles.  That is way too long.  Either DAM needs to ask for help or they
need to step down.  Asking people to wait (in some cases for more than 2
years) is crazy.

--
Jamin W. Collins