Re: mawk is a required package but I have replaced it with gawk

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Dan Jacobson wrote:

> I see mawk is a required package, but I have replaced it with gawk.
> Why isn't there some meta package called awk, where either mawk or
> gawk will satisfy it?

There is, it's called awk and base-files depends on it to ensure there
is always at least one awk installed, which makes it both essential
and virtual.

Since there are more than one awk implementation, it was decided to
make exactly one of them (mawk) required and the others optional. This
does also satisfy the policy rule saying "packages must not depend on
others with lower priority values".