Re: default MTA for sarge

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:10:09 +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 01:11:12AM +0200, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
>> Do people use their web server for regular work? I have a server in
>> mind which does nothing but serving HTTP. (Uploading data via FTP
>> doesn't count.) What tasks would you perform on such an installation
>> without being root? The situation is different for a desktop box of
>> course, where root logins are a big no-no.
>
> First of all, I dont know about you, but on my WEb Servers more than one
> person is doing work. Each group has their own work dir. You can do
> every day maintenance totally as non root.

I don't have experience with real web servers (only a very small private
one). I still don't understand why people have to "work" on the server. They
can prepare their updates on a local workstation und upload the changes to
the server by means of FTP or similar. No shell login is required. What
else do you do in your "everday maintenance"?

_If_ users do any regular work on the server machine, they really should
have their own accounts and not run under root. There's no question about
that.

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!