Re: default MTA for sarge

I'll step out of lurk mode for a moment.

Sebastian Kapfer is on permanent record as saying:

:Another random idea from my misguided brain: Maybe there should be
:separate exim packages: exim4-local (which is the MTA automatically
:installed by dependencies) and exim4 (which a sysadmin in need of an MTA
:would install). The two could share the binaries and only provide
:different maintainer scripts.

We can take this idea an extra half step.

exim4:
 requires exim4-config

exim4-config-simple:
 provides exim4-config
 conflicts exim4-config-advanced

Configuration would be predefined to provide only local mail routing.

exim4-config-advanced:
 provides exim4-config
 conflicts exim4-config-simple

Configuration would be based on debconf.

Having said that, I'm not sure if I like the idea of separating software
from the configuration, but I wanted to let the idea out for discussion.

Greg Bodnar
--- -