Re: Debian conference in the US?

On Fri, 23 May 2003 12:38:09 +1000, Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> said:

> On Fri, 23 May 2003 03:20, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> You are taking personal actions inimical to the standard of living
>> of me and my loved ones in retaliation for actions by my government
>> (which I have little control over), and you expect me to roll over
>> and congratulate you all on your stance? Hell, my first instinct is
>> to try and see how I can retaliate.

> Great!  Now we are making some progress.  The US (both government
> and people) does this sort of thing routinely to other countries.
> Most Americans can't understand why it will make people outside the
> US unhappy.

	We, the american people, delibrately go out of our way to try
 and hurt the economy of other countries? Hell, we don't ewven know
 where most of the countries inthe world are, far less be bothered to
 individually go out and try to hurt their economies.

	My government may do things in a fashion that could be
 improved (to put it mildly), but as a people, we are generally
 benevolent, until something impinges on our consciousness and makes
 us take notice. And given our collective attention span, it takes a
 lot.

>> Let me clue all of you in: anyone who takes a stand and tries to
>> hurt the US economy, I see as a taking action inimical to me, and
>> my loved ones, and I do *NOT* see that as friendly action.

> It seems that a large portion of the US population is trying to hurt
> the economy of any country that doesn't follow the US line (see
> France as an example).

	Yes. There is a segment of the population which is indeed
 taking what I would call enemy action against france. But we are also
 prepared to live with the retaliatory consequences of our actions.

> What do you think of the boycots of French products?  Do you oppose
> them on principle?

	Actually, I do, since I think that the French government did
 nothing illegal, and was well within its rights to decide as it
 damed well pleases; but having stated my opinion as an american, I am
 not going to pass the buck when it comes to actions some americans
 are taking, even if I disagree.

> PS How exactly would you retaliate against the rest of the world?

	I dunno. Depends on pissed I am.

> PPS Be grateful that you have more control over your government than
> I have over mine.  My government obeys yours.

	So you can't control your government to do the right thing,
 and in frustration you lash out against my family?

	manoj
--
In an age when the fashion is to be in love with yourself, confessing
to be in love with somebody else is an admission of unfaithfulness to