Status of Sarge Release Issues (Updated for May)

I'm posting my sarge release issues message again, with updates for those
that want to be able to reasonably quickly track the issues.

I may not be pointing to the canonical locations. My guesses about
priorities (1-3) of things to be done before Sarge is released is below
with status information. I'm unsure as to where to get status information
about some things in the second paragraph below (which is mainly about

2 Installer TODO:
1 Ports(aka architectures) status:
1 i386 support? (The large thread starting with
talks about this). Do we have to wait for upstream to fix this? If so that
might mean a gcc3.4 transition and well, at least half a year before
freeze (gcc 3.3 is currently in stage three, gcc3.4 will take at least 6
months to complete the release schedule that
http://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html describes).
1 gcc 3.2 (g++ abi change?) transition status (versions with c102 suffix):
http://people.debian.org/~rmurray/c++transition.html a search reveils:
but this search is inaccurate. It only tells about the last crawled i386
package pages and includes packages that depend/recomend/suggest these
i386 c102 packages.
2 Release Critical Bugs status: http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/
1 Problems in testing:
2 IPV6 status & status guesses:
2 Debian Description Translation Project (DDTP) status:
http://ddtp.debian.org/stats/ with an anoncment (
) of an APT with translation support.
2 UTF-8 or UTF8?
suggests a status site.
3 Status of aptitude categories (Is done by "tags" and/or keywords. I'd
like to include upstream trove information):
http://debian.vitavonni.de/packagebrowser/ and
have more details.
3 Menu system update to conform to
(as suggested in
) The old update was abandonded but contributes to the new standard.
3 AMD x86-64 port? Several threads have been on debian-devel about this.
i386 packages will aparently work for this arch. (Note: According to
AMD prefers the port to be called AMD64 and not x86-64 or alike)

1 flex transition? Silently a major revision of flex came into unstable
and broke parts of openoffice.org, postgresql and likely others.
1 XFree86 status (sarge'll have 4.3.0, 4.2.1 has been abandonded due to
gcc 3.2 compilation issues): http://people.debian.org/~branden/xsf/
3 Linux Kernel 2.6?!?
I think that it may be unreasonable to wait for this. There were some
potential Debian Installer (d-i) issues listed in the same thread. I heard
that 2.5 was frozen October 2002 so 2.6 (aka next stable version) will be
out this year? The thread at
discusses how 2.5 can work. Perhaps 2.6 wouldn't be hard to switch to if
the installer stayed with 2.4 for a while.
2 Ooo (OpenOffice.org 1.0.3?)? Very desirable but held back by
transitions still? More info at least on the debian ooo mailing list, is
there a status site? flex broke this too.
2 Perl transition (5.6-5.8)? The debian-perl list might have an up to date
status, is there a status site?
2 KDE (3.1?)? Is there a status site? 3.1.1 is in unstable.
2 Postgresql (uprade bug marked help, devel site(S)?)?
2 Python transition? It looks to be near completion judging from the
3 libpng transition: debian-devel has some discussion about this archived
for Jan and Jul 2002.
is quite interesting.
lists some more info.
describes the current situation.
3 QT transition (Qt2->Qt3)? Mentioned in thread
3 MySQL 4: http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mysql-dfsg.html (note the
current license RC bug on libmysqlclient12, it isn't lgpl and there's
openssl vs gpl license issues)
3 Gnome: http://people.debian.org/~walters/gnome2.html (is the imlib png
library compatiblility issue involve here?)
3 Java (some packages were in contrib/non-free because they wouldn't work
with free Java implementations (ie kaffe). There

was some talk about a potential Java transition but from what to what?)?
kaffe is free, (Sun's jre isn't?), gjc and gij need some work acording to
An old, but still relevant java faq is at http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq
3 guile 1.4 -> 1.6 transition?
Josselin Mouette says in
that 1.6 is broken. It seems we'll be sticking with 1.4 for a while.

Some other notes:
Boot-floppies status (very likely *has to* be replaced with the
debian-installer): http://people.debian.org/~dwhedon/

Testing information: http://www.debian.org/devel/testing
Update excuses:
Update output: http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/update_output.txt
Archives of the mailing list for "Coordinating Debian releases" (includes
assignments and reports on assignments):

QA information (links to info on RC bugs and alike): http://qa.debian.org

A Woody+1 (aka sarge) release goal wishlist:
Discussion about Woody+1 (goals) at:
Older (hamm, slink) release goals: http://people.debian.org/~joey/goals/

Info about release(d) revisions of Stable:
Website translation status: http://www.debian.org/devel/website/stats/
Debian keys trust metrics: http://people.debian.org/~weasel/weboftrust/
(It'd be nice to see a higher trust metric.)
Package Popularity (popularity-contest):

Devel todo list: http://www.debian.org/devel/todo/

General information about sarge: http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/
Package diff bethween Debian testing and unstable:

3 gzip rsync patch (patch will be removed or fixed for alphas):
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=gzip this was fixed, but
there's still a bug set to hold the rsync patch out of testing.
3 ocaml status?
and bug 187155. Done? http://lists.debian.org/debian-ocaml-maint/2003/debian-ocaml-maint-200304/msg00091.html
seems to say it is.
3 fhs status: http://qa.debian.org/fhs.html Done, see the bugs.
3 Postgresql (uprade bug fixed, but flex bug is kludged, help needed)

     Drew Daniels