Re: Status of Sarge Release Issues (Updated for May)

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 04:32:35PM -0500, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
> I'm posting my sarge release issues message again, with updates for those
> that want to be able to reasonably quickly track the issues.
(...)

> 2 Debian Description Translation Project (DDTP) status:
> http://ddtp.debian.org/stats/ with an anoncment (
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/debian-devel-announce-200304/msg00015.html
> ) of an APT with translation support.

This should be '3' at most. IMHO translation teams should, first,
concentrate on translating (or updating the translation of) the
debian-installer (which is not translated to all languages at the moment
[1]) user-land _tools_ [2], documentation (including manpages) and then
package descriptions. That's at least the translation priority I sent to
the Spanish translation group [3].

Of course that's my opinion, but I believe user's which have a need of
translation want to be able to do the following in their own language:

1.- read the documentation related to it so as to prepare for installation
(i.e. installation manual, FAQs, etc..)
2.- install the (new) system
3.- use the tools provided by it
4.- read more on the system (i.e. manpages)

Package descriptions help with 2) and with 3) (when trying to find new
tools) but if your installation system is in english (or the tools you use
afterwards, i.e. all of priority standard) then reading the description of
packages you

I do think DDTP is a worthwile goal, I believe it is, but if translation
resources are scarse (as is the case in some translation teams) I wouldn't
place it first and foremost.

Regards

Javi

[1] Doing some scripting I can see that in the 'debian-boot' CVS there
are 29 languages which have translated po's but only _eight_ have
translated more than 10 po's out of 30 templates:
     10 po files for sv
     14 po files for nl
     15 po files for da
     22 po files for es
     28 po files for nb
     29 po files for fr
     29 po files for nn
     30 po files for pt_BR

The debian-boot CVS includes tools such as
tasksel, boot-floppies, modconf and the new debian-installer. The situation
is slightly worst if you look at only the debian-installer, there are only
translations for 14 languages and only seven of them have over 10 po's
translated:
     11 po files for da
     12 po files for nl
     18 po files for es
     25 po files for fr
     28 po files for nb
     28 po files for nn
     28 po files for pt_BR

(Obviously, I'm not counting the sizes of the po's themselves so it's a
gross estimate)

[2] http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/
I believe there are  a number of languages that don't have translated
the packages of priority 'standard' (But I can't tell from there)

[3]  Spanish only:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-spanish/2003/debian-l10n-spanish-200303/msg00018.html