Re: Debian Subversion repository?

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 04:49:33PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On that note, have you any thoughts about whether it would be better to
> have one enormous repository for all projects, or lots of small ones
> along the lines of CVS? My thoughts run towards the latter for this kind
> of installation, since then it's easier to manage security for ra_svn
> using just Unix groups (and I don't think that inter-project branching
> will happen enough in practice to require keeping history about it), but
> you might have other ideas.

In my installation at http://svn.complete.org/, I set it up with many small
repositories, mainly because most of them were being converted over via
cvs2svn, and it was most convenient to do it that way.

I have found that this made it easy to set up per-repository security in
Apache; I'd often use a separate password file for each one.  It also made
it easier to make a quick "svn dump" of a small project, and to separate out
the repository if needed for a smaller disk.  In short, it had some
technical advantages.

On the downside, there are cases where it makes sense to be able to copy
across projects.  For instance, I have a lot of Python projects, and I
usually end up copying COPYING, COPYRIGHT, setup.py, and some other files
from one project to the next.  I might also tend to copy debian/ from one
project to the next, hack control, changelog, and rules (a little).

With some logical organization, we could possibly achieve some of the
benefits of both.

-- John