Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Steve Langasek wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 01:34:19PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> I only have two directories in /var/ that appear in /. I have somewhat
>> more in /tmp than I do in /var/tmp, and more in /lib than I do in
>> /var/lib.
>
>Really?  I think your machine represents an exception, not the norm:

Ok, on closer examination it's due to the obscene number of kernel
packages I have installed. In general, /var/lib is probably bigger than
/lib.

>> Mountall is called early in the boot sequence. I can't see anything in
>> my startup that ought to be storing runtime state that happens before
>> that. A network mounted /var is a special case, not normal booting.
>
>And therefore we should ignore the needs of users who have
>network-mounted /var partitions?  I thought the point of a distribution
>was to spread the burden of making the software work, so that people can
>spend their time getting real work done instead...

As one of the users with network-mounted /var partitions, I found that
making sure that /var/run was a symlink to writeable storage solved the
problem nicely. /etc caused more trouble, since in that case we actually
had to move individual files around. The correct place to make sure that
this is the case is in the installer, rather than imposing an extra
top-level directory upon everyone.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org