Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 01:09:36PM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 06:59:34PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > I guess /etc/mtab, /etc/network/ifstate, /etc/motd and maybe
> > /etc/ioctl.save (wtf is that?) should all move in there?

> Only on systems that require it.

> How about leaving stuff as it is, keeping a list of files in /etc that
> get written to in the docs and leave it up to the admin who builds a
> complex netbooted system, since those people aren't going to stick with
> the standard solution anyway. If d-i can someday install complex
> netbooted systems, we can think about this issue again.

It's still not FHS-compliant; since we're going to be non-compliant one
way or another (as is everyone else on these points), we might as well
put the files somewhere that it's reasonable to standardize on later, and
in the process help admins who are creating complex systems.

> For the early rw issues: I doubt that too much stuff needs such a thing
> and I believe that said stuff can be patched to not use the FS at all
> until everything is mounted (MIT SHM springs to mind).

The implementation is arguably easier if the SHM support is presented
through the VFS, which means consolidating the files that would need this
to a single mount point.  /mem is still a bad name, though, because it
implies a specific implementation.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer