Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

* Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> [030311 13:50]:
> > I guess /etc/mtab, /etc/network/ifstate, /etc/motd and maybe
> > /etc/ioctl.save (wtf is that?) should all move in there?
>
> Only on systems that require it.

It's not only the rw-thingie. Most of these things just do not
belong there. (/etc/mtab is by no way a configuration file).

They are just there out of historic reasons and because there
is no good alternative yet (Most would belong to /var but that
might not be there when they are first accessed).

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.