Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:21:45AM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:49:20 +0100
> martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

> > before i file this with the BTS, gimme your opinions...

> > ifupdown manages the state of interfaces with the file
> > /etc/network/ifstate. this file is being written to. isn't that
> > a violation of the FHS, and should ifstate not live under /var?

> Yes, /var/state/ is a more appropriate place.

No, /var/state/ is not an FHS directory.

I also think the "/var may not be mounted yet" argument is a cop-out.
The FHS says that "Some portions of /var are not shareable
between different systems", which seems to preclude the possibility that
a network-mounted /var will work correctly *anyway*.  (The 'diskless
workstation' argument is null -- if it's diskless, where is /etc
located that makes it a better choice than /var?)

All of the other non-config files stored in /etc have to be available
before other filesystems are mounted.  Given that all local drives are
mounted in the boot sequence before anything touches the network
subsystem, I don't think this argument applies for /etc/network/ifstate.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer