Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 09:13:39AM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> > Emile: How about calling the new directory "/run" ?
> OTOH, /mem/preserved is perhaps still a bit clearer than /run/preserved.

Does it really make sense to preserve anything in /run? That is, is
there anything that both needs to be available before /var, and needs
to be preserved over reboot?

Calling it "/run" allows us to:

	(a) just leave it as a directory on /, presuming / will be mounted
	    rw. Simple, obvious, no effort required!
	(b) we can also symlink it to /var/run/early if /var is a local fs
	(c) if someone wants, they can make it tmpfs, or whatever themselves

Calling it "/mem" would be confusing in either (a) or (b). If someone
wants to mount /var/run as tmpfs, that's their choice, independent of
any of this.

I guess /etc/mtab, /etc/network/ifstate, /etc/motd and maybe
/etc/ioctl.save (wtf is that?) should all move in there?

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''