Re: debconf template translation

Op vr 28-02-2003, om 19:18 schreef Joey Hess:
> I'd suggest something like this:
>
> 1. DDTP finishes translating all debconf templates, fully, for n
>    languages.

Hah!

Oh puh-lease. Be a bit realistic, if possible. Full translation? Yeah
right. There's no way you can keep up with a moving target.

>    You pick them, one would hope they'd include the big
>    languages.

If this is possible, one would think they'd _only_ include the big
languages.

> 2. DDTP announces that everyone who has a debconf-using package should
>    now update its tranlations for all n languages. DDTP or others
>    provide a simple command-line tool that can do just that, securely,
>    with less than 2 minutes learning curve per developer. The tool is put
>    in devscripts.

You'll need this tool anyway, but there's no need to wait for 'full
translation' for that.

> 3. Wait 4 weeks, maybe sending a few reminders.
> 4. File bugs on the remaining 25% of packages.
> 5. Wait 4 weeks.
> 6. NMU the remaining 10% of packages and report their MIA maintainers to
>    the MIA tracker. I assume this will take less than 1 month to
>    complete.

Uh. Remember that there are not release critical? Not that I think they
shouldn't be, but that would require some policy changes first.

> 7. To add a new language, go to 1.
> 8. Make sure that packages that are newly converted to use debconf
>    go through steps 2-6.
> 9. Release Debian with full debconf support for all n languages.
>
> Unless you expect that getting to step 1. will take longer than a month,

I'd think a year is an optimistic estimation. Sure, large language
groups, such as German, French, or Japanese could make this happen, but
there are literally hundreds of languages out there, and most aren't
really able to make this happen.

I'd suggest a configurable way for dh_installdebconf to check on updates
of translations. Sure, not everyone uses debhelper, but it's a start.

--
wouter at grep dot be
"An expert can usually spot the difference between a fake charge and a