Re: "testing" improvements

Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr> wrote:
> En réponse à Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org>:
>> Because testing has been basically frozen for some months it doesn't
>> hold "recent versions of packages".

>> These people currently use stable+backports. - Usually they are happy
>> with http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/packages/ combined with either KDE3.1
>> or GNOME2.2.

>> This also what I recommend on debian-user-german or in Usenet, I
>> always warn them about the dangers of Pinning and the missing security
>> updates for testing.

> This means that you are using unstable packages and you'll possibly
> have serious problems with some packages (even more with bloats like
> GNOME of KDE). So stable is not stable anymore.

Hello,
GNOME's or KDE's bugs are usually selfcontained, ie. if konqueror is
buggy you won't get a bugreport against libpcre.

You'll have even more serious problems if you try to use woody on a
more or less recent laptop, you'll _need_ Kernel 2.4.20 and XFree86
4.2.1 to run the system properly.

> How can developers reproduce bugs on unstable/stable mixed systems?
[...]

These are no unstable/stable mixed systems (that would be what you
get by adding sid to sources list and using apt-pinning).

And $developer will know these are unofficial backports by simply
taking a look the version-string. These are _proper_ backports with
decreased version number with an identifier (woody, bunk, ...) in it!
                 cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_