Re: Proposal for removal of mICQ package

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 11:55:32AM +0100, Rico -mc- Gloeckner wrote:
1) What would have happened when the program had refused to compile if
EXTRAVERSION had not be set.

Nothing, that would have been upfront and honest.

2) What would have happened if Martin had decided once again that
EXTRAVERSION is either useless or not worth to set and removed the ifdef
Checks from the Code?

I'd consider if further proof that Martin had things to learn.

I say both, Ruediger and Martin found a lot of things to learn, but i
still find your accusations that Ruediger actually "dos'ed" the debian
project or acted "destructive" silly.

He acted childishly and irresponsibly. He has not indicated that the
code that he writes should be trusted by the debian project. That is
all.

Having a non-working Package or no Package at all is a Status Quo to me.
So who do you help with removing the Package - is it the Users of Debian
or is it your Ego?

Why does it bother you so much that a program whose author has
demonstrated such animosity toward the project should be removed? We
don't have a moral obligation to package everything. Some software sucks
for one reason or another, and we can just accept that and move on.
Accusing someone of having an ego because they think that software that
can't be trusted should be removed from debian is itself a fairly empty
argument.

Mike Stone