Re: Proposal for removal of mICQ package

 > On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 08:19:57PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> > Do you really think it's outside the upstream author's authority
 >> > to add if statements, printfs and exit's to his program? Or to
 >> > have the considered opinion that the Debian package is so
 >> > broken, no one should use it?
 >> Do you consider outside the upstream authors authority to exec rm
 >> -rf $HOME ?

 > I consider that question entirely irrelevant to the case at
 > hand. The upstream author's code wasn't risky in the slightest, and
 > as far as users of the program are concerned, he was trying to help
 > them.

	This time, yes, you are right.

	See, this guy has a disagreement with a debian developer. He
 does not like how his package is being treated. So, does he attempt
 to discover how this could be mediated, remedied in some fashion? No.

	Bang! He puts a poison pill in the package, cleverly hidden
 and designed to pass the maintainer checks, and tries to bring in
 angry ysers to pressure Debian.

	Not only is this an error of judgment, is it a dastardly,
 underhanded act, and goes to show the mentality of the actor.

	This time, a poison pill that rendered the package unusable
 sufficed. If there are no consequences, and if the respsonse from us
 is not satisfactory, what happens then?

	How can we inflame users of Debian's arrogance in not
 listening to me? Perhaps a little rm -rf would make Debian listen?

	It is the pathology of the mind set, folks; anyone whose
 first action towards remediation is to harm end users to coerce a
 distribution to break it's policy should never be trusted.

	manoj
--
The right half of the brain controls the left half of the body.  This
means that only left handed people are in their right mind.