Re: Spam in bugs database - automatic removal?

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 11:38:50PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > Unfortunately, some spammers appeared to have stumbled about putting
> > "bug#nnnn" in the message body. Did you see the one that came to -devel
> > yesterday? It had a couple o' bug numbers on it, and seems to have escaped
> > -devel's spamfilter because the BTS bounced it.
>
> Yes, I'm sure they saw it. No, the messages didn't have "bug#nnn" in
> the body, they only had it in the subject line. This is added by the
> BTS for outgoing messages, after the message is checked with
> spamassassin, I assume.

Indeed, quite correct. Teoh [1], yesterday's spam was one of the test
cases for the reduced threshold and the new rules.

> > Also, keep in mind that bugs submitted against SA itself may contain spam
> > attachments (eg. a real spam mail to demonstrate an SA bug).

This doesn't actually appear to be happening in practice. Even if it
did, I imagine that the spamassassin maintainer uses his own package, so
changing the SA setup on bugs.debian.org wouldn't make much difference
there anyway.

Plus what Santiago said about false positives, of course.

[1] Sorry, I'm not sure whether that's your given name or family name,
    or what your correct form of address is ...