Re: Spam in bugs database - automatic removal?

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 01:44:09PM +0100, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 12:05:18PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
>  > Afraid not; as I said to somebody on IRC yesterday, it would be rather
>  > open to abuse. Just let us know and it will be dealt with promptly.
>
>  What? Setting a flag shown/not-shown? Or better yet, "spam: yes"?

I've thought about it, but since Joy and I are the ones doing pretty
much all the cleanup at the moment and the load doesn't seem to be
bothering either of us the extra complexity doesn't seem necessary. It's
not as if our response times are high - usually under an hour during the
European day.

>  You could flag messages as spam and, in order to keep that fuzzy warm
>  feeling of control inside owner@,

Ah, I knew an accusation of control-freakery would come up at some point
here ...

Personally, I actually prefer the load to be on owner@ here. It gives us
more incentive to improve the spam-filtering setup so that the load is
reduced. For example, we recently dropped the SA threshold to 4 in
response to a combination of Santiago's bug report and an onslaught of
spam last night which scored between 4 and 5.

>  And besides that, kicking people out of the project for childish and
>  obstrusive behaviour should be an option.  I assume that that's what
>  you mean by "abuse".

So then we also have to set up an audit trail and arrange for deleted
spam to sit around somewhere for a while wasting space so that we can
insure against people deleting valuable information - no thanks. I
prefer the simplicity we have now.

Cheers,