Re: Announcing apt-watch: a Gnome 2 panel applet to check for upgrades

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 02:05:24PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 08:00:32PM +0100, Emile van Bergen
> <emile-deb@evbergen.xs4all.nl> was heard to say:
> > I hoped the applet would just make the same check that apt-get
> > update makes for each source before reporting 'Hit' or 'Get'.
>
> It needs to actually download all the lists -- otherwise there's no
> way to tell whether updates are available for /your/ system.  It
> shouldn't claim that updates are available, just because someone
> uploaded a security fix for a package I don't have installed.

Of course it needs to download them, but does it need to overwrite the
current lists that are used by apt and dpkg in the process?

It would be great if it could download to a (securely created mode 700)
directory in /var/tmp and then perform its checks, instead of
overwriting anything in /var/cache or /var/lib, which of course does
require appropriate privileges.

Cheers,

Emile.

--