Re: Announcing apt-watch: a Gnome 2 panel applet to check for upgrades

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 07:21:41PM +0100, Emile van Bergen <emile-deb@evbergen.xs4all.nl> was heard to say:
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:09:51PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>
> >   I can test whether a package version comes from security.debian.org
> > easily, by looking at the list of archives it's in.  (the applet -- or
> > rather the suid helper -- links to libapt-pkg)
>
> What part of the process requires root privileges, exactly? A mere check
> for updates ideally shouldn't change anything on your system, just
> queries the dpkg database and apt sources, so I see no theoretic reason
> for it to require a suid helper? That would also solve the
> authentication problem.

  You have to download new versions of the package lists, which are stored
in /var/lib/apt/lists.

  This could be worked around by storing the downloaded lists in the
home directory of the current user -- although that has a different
drawback (they would have to re-download the updated lists in the "real"
package manager, which is a bit confusing)

  Daniel

|          You are in a maze of twisty little signatures, all alike.          |
\---- News without the $$ -- National Public Radio -- http://www.npr.org ----/