Re: Announcing apt-watch: a Gnome 2 panel applet to check for upgrades

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 05:49:28PM +0100, Bas Zoetekouw <bas@debian.org> was heard to say:
> You could use apt-cache policy to see whether an update is a security
> update. For example, apt-cache policy bind on wa woody machine shows:

  I can test whether a package version comes from security.debian.org
easily, by looking at the list of archives it's in.  (the applet -- or
rather the suid helper -- links to libapt-pkg)

  The only thing I was unsure about was whether this was enough -- ie,
whether a package is stored on security.debian.org if and only if it
is a security update.  This is probably true often enough to make it
useful, but I don't want people to think, "oh, there's no security
update, I'll leave off upgrading for now" when there actually is.

  Daniel

|                   "Truly, you have a dizzying intellect."                   |
|                     -- "The Princess Bride"                                 |
\---- News without the $$ -- National Public Radio -- http://www.npr.org ----/