Re: Announcing apt-watch: a Gnome 2 panel applet to check for upgrades

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:35:23PM -0500, Matthew McGuire wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 07:21:41PM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:
>
> > What part of the process requires root privileges, exactly? A mere check
> > for updates ideally shouldn't change anything on your system, just
> > queries the dpkg database and apt sources, so I see no theoretic reason
> > for it to require a suid helper? That would also solve the
> > authentication problem.
> >
> > Unless dpkg even disallows read-only access to the database to non-root
> > users. I wouldn't have a clue why it does that then, though.
> >
> Every time I run apt-get update as a non root user I always get the
> following:
>
> magus@malek:~$ apt-get update
> E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13
> Permission denied)
> E: Unable to lock the list directory
>
> So there is a lock file setup of some kind that requires root. Sadly I
> am not adept enough to know the why or how of it.

Oh, yes, but that's different, as apt-get update actually does change
something on your system: it updates the list of available packages you
can select from using dselect.

I hoped the applet would just make the same check that apt-get update
makes for each source before reporting 'Hit' or 'Get'.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies / Emile van Bergen   |   emile@e-advies.info