Re: Announcing apt-watch: a Gnome 2 panel applet to check for upgrades

Hi Daniel!

You wrote:

>   I didn't mention this, but one long-term idea I wrote down for the
> applet was to check whether any of the updates were security updates,
> and only do the flashing/whatever in that case.  Unfortunately, I don't
> think this is possible -- you could check whether the source for the
> update is security.d.o, but that's probably not sufficient.

You could use apt-cache policy to see whether an update is a security
update. For example, apt-cache policy bind on wa woody machine shows:

bind:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:8.3.3-2.0woody1
  Version Table:
     1:8.3.3-2.0woody1 0
        500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
     1:8.3.3-0.woody.1 0
        500 ftp://ftp.de.debian.org stable/main Packages

--
Kind regards,
| Bas Zoetekouw              | GPG key: 0644fab7                     |