Re: Announcing apt-watch: a Gnome 2 panel applet to check for upgrades

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:09:51PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   I can test whether a package version comes from security.debian.org
> easily, by looking at the list of archives it's in.  (the applet -- or
> rather the suid helper -- links to libapt-pkg)

What part of the process requires root privileges, exactly? A mere check
for updates ideally shouldn't change anything on your system, just
queries the dpkg database and apt sources, so I see no theoretic reason
for it to require a suid helper? That would also solve the
authentication problem.

Unless dpkg even disallows read-only access to the database to non-root
users. I wouldn't have a clue why it does that then, though.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies / Emile van Bergen   |   emile@e-advies.info