Re: 3.2 transition

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 07:54:32PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > > I've thought having a directory for doing LD_LIBRARY_PATH might help
> > > people keep compatibility with other dists or legacy applications,
> > What other dists or legacy applications?  Do you have examples?
> Anyone who has locally built a c++ application on their system
> is going to be broken.

Yes, do you have any examples? If there are real world examples, then
that's something interesting that might be worth working on.

> To take this as an example:
> /home/dancer/local/bin/some-random-GA-program-in-C++-linked-against-libxerces

Hypotheticals aren't interesting though, we already know the case *can*
happen, the question is whether it *does*.

> We may need to add in our release notes: "We broke ABI, please recompile
> from source",

Well, yes. "We updated GCC which breaks the C++ ABI; if you have
complicated C++ programs, please rebuild them."

> It might suffice to instruct users to install packages from woody,

Before we spend time, effort or imagination on this, there needs to be
some evidence that it'll actually benefit people.

Cheers,
aj

    ``Australian Linux Lovefest Heads West''
                   -- linux.conf.au, Perth W.A., 22nd-25th January 2003