Re: Flame against non-free burning, time to think.

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 04:53:11AM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> I see what the problem is.  If one is not reasonable, it can be one
> maintainer with whatever reasonable numbrer of people to second its
> existance.  I can even live with parity between main and non-free.
> (like: 3 for main, 5 for non-free)

Presumably, there are enough people with their feet planted against this
GR that they will "second" the existence of any package in non-free.

So, in that case, you don't have majority rule; you have minority veto.

And a very small minority at that!

> But bottom line is, these shall not be majority rule.  After all there
> will be some strange head, some plural number may be a good idea.

If this GR goes to a vote, then requiring non-free packages to be
"seconded" by a larger number of people than actually rank the GR below
the default option might be a good idea.  That way you're more likely to
have confidence that a given package's existence is supported by the
"neutrals" in the argument, instead of just by hard-liners who feel that
no package should ever be dropped from non-free, or who don't really
care but simply want to express their opposition to the GR in any way
they can.

> Minimum requirement to weed out junk is interesting concept.

It is, but it would need to be implemented in such a way that there is
actually some pressure on non-free to "dwindle", "wither", or "die" as
so many opponents of the GR say it will if we just leave the status quo
in place.

If non-free should *not* "dwindle", "wither", or "die", then we should
be changing the Social Contract to *embrace* it.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      "There is no gravity in space."
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      "Then how could astronauts walk