Re: Flame against non-free burning, time to think.

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:51:17AM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> non-free is nice way to absorb differences in opinion how tolerant we
> should be towards non-free software.  Closing space on weak license
> materials.  Enforcing one sided view on them, looks to me very strong
> handed approach to reduce non-free.  "They should die because they are
> not needed" is the right approach.  Time shall solve the problem.

It hasn't so far.  We have added packages to non-free faster than we've
been getting rid of them.[1]

Perhaps Free Software is indeed impotent to replace non-free software,
at least at a pace that exceeds the public's appetite for the latter.

If that is the case, perhaps we should consider amending the Social
Contract to be *more* inclusive of non-free software, not less.

[1] Message-ID: <[🔎] 20021114103645.GA943@kleinmann.com>

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |           If ignorance is bliss,