Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 03:17:22PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:

> > > No, i did not.  look at the headers, they're not that hard to decipher.
> > > the entire mesage, as sent by you, was sent back to YOU (and no-one
> > > else) with the go-away message prepended.
> >
> > The message in question had a "From:" header which had *my* name, and
> > a "To:" header which did not accurately describe the destination of
> > the message.  That's a forgery.
>
> you obviously don't understand how bouncing (in the MUA sense of the
> word, rather than the MTA sense) a message works.

Quite the contrary, I do.

An MUA is supposed to generate a *new* message, and then deliver the
message to the stated recipients.

An MTA has two usual options; one is to generate a new message, the
other is to forward an existing message, but in the latter case, it
isn't supposed to modify the

> equally obviously, you don't understand the distinction between message
> headers (which are *comments*, not addressing information) and message
> envelope (which *IS* addressing info).

I understand the distinction.  In a non-forged message, the To: header
accurately represents the recipients.  It's not the *same* as the
recipients, as a reflection on mailing list processing will make clear.

> the following is NOT forgery.  it is returning your unwanted mail to
> you, exactly as it was received.

"exactly as it was received" means without modification.  You are
modifying the messages.

> this is no more a forgery than a mailing list resending your message.
> it operates on exactly the same principle and is triggered by your
> action.

Except that a mailing list doesn't modify the message in transit.