On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 03:17:22PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 11:17:01PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > > It appears that Craig forged the To: headers as well as the From:
> > > header on his obnoxious auto-responder.  Sigh.
> >
> > No, i did not.  look at the headers, they're not that hard to decipher.
> > the entire mesage, as sent by you, was sent back to YOU (and no-one
> > else) with the go-away message prepended.
>
> The message in question had a "From:" header which had *my* name, and
> a "To:" header which did not accurately describe the destination of
> the message.  That's a forgery.

you obviously don't understand how bouncing (in the MUA sense of the
word, rather than the MTA sense) a message works.

equally obviously, you don't understand the distinction between message
headers (which are *comments*, not addressing information) and message
envelope (which *IS* addressing info).

bounce any message to yourself in your MUA.  then look at the headers.

the following is NOT forgery.  it is returning your unwanted mail to
you, exactly as it was received.

:0 E
* ^(From|Sender):.*tb@becket.net
* ^(To|Cc):.*cas@(taz.net.au|debian.org)
{
   :0 fbw
   | ( echo "************************************************" ; \
       echo "************************************************" ; \
       echo "***                                          ***" ; \
       echo "*** MAIL FROM YOU IS NOT WELCOME.  GO AWAY.  ***" ; \
       echo "***                                          ***" ; \
       echo "************************************************" ; \
	   echo "************************************************" ; \
	   echo ; cat )

   :0
   ! tb@becket.net
}

this is no more a forgery than a mailing list resending your message.
it operates on exactly the same principle and is triggered by your
action.

here's an idea: if you don't want your mail to be bounced back at you,
then don't send any to me.  that ought to be simple enough for you.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.