On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 22:22, John Goerzen wrote:
> Wait a minute.  All we need is one high-bandwidth mirror to be primary.
> This could be a place like metalab, archive.progeny.com, VA, or any number
> of other options.  The primary server doesn't have to be that
> high-bandwidth.

VA barely even provides its own high-bandwidth to sf anymore too,
afair.  They do, however graciously have some of the sf.net mirrors
serve up apt-gettable debian directories.

Once again, the issue is not bandwidth, nor disk space.

It is maintaining an archive server that people can securely upload to
and maintain the same level of stable-maintainership to provide the best
solution to our users about non-free software.

Of course, being outside of the Debian *PROJECT* (please, dont fuck with
this and move it into BUT ITS NOT IN DEBIAN) makes it sort of hard for
this gr, with its assurance of helping users as much as possible with
non-free, for the situation to actually work out ok without flaws.

We obviosly know who would be at fault if a stable revisioned non-free
archive got fucked with and broke contrib stuff in the debian-proper
archive, but then what happens?  Does the Debian PROJECT then suggest a
specific archive to provide the best support possible?

So then, the issue runs back around to who is going to maintain the
archive.  Not the bandwidth.  Not the hardware.

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> KC0OBS http://www.ringworld.org/