Re: C++ library broken

Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 06:41:24PM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
>> Alex Romosan <romosan@sycorax.lbl.gov> writes:

>> > just do:
>> >
>> >   ln -s libstdc++-3libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
>> >
>> > in /usr/lib and that will fix the problem.
>>
>> That will not fix the problem of brain-damaged developers not minimally
>> testing packages before upload, especially important ones, which is the
>> real problem in this case.
>
> Have you thought about the problem?  Maybe a little bit?  Understood
> what's going on?  It's perfectly easy to test the packages without
> catching this sort of problem.

Err, it breaks every single C++ binary on the system.  How is that hard
to miss?

> Don't throw stones.  Instead politely suggest to debian-gcc that the
> link be added and gcc-2.95 be reuploaded.

Because that would give the impression that I'm happy to report
blatantly obvious bugs that never should have seen the light of day.
I'm not happy about it.  I find it extremely frustrating that some
maintainers are too lazy to test their packages, especially after making
some sort of major change, like renaming a library.  Is that really too
much to ask?

--
People said I was dumb, but I proved them!