Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

I demand that John H. Robinson, IV may or may not have written...

[snip]
> would it be feasable for each non-free maintainer to maintain an
> apt-get'able archive on people.d.o? would that even be desired?

> i'd prefer to see, if non-free goes, that some place popped up out of thin
> air, (we-are-not-debian.net ?) this way, each non-free user would have to
> add one deb line to their sources.list. having to add one line for each
> desired non-free program would get tedious. how much do we wish to punish
> our users for using non-free stuff?

It may be enough that they (we) are reminded in small ways: the text of menu
entries for non-free programs could be suffixed with "(non-free)"; apt-get
and friends flagging non-free packages more obviously.

For instance, if you 'apt-get install whirlgif', apt-get would say:

  The following NEW NON-FREE packages will be installed:
    whirlgif

(etc.)

> however, i do not have the resources for such a central server either.

<AOL>...

--
| Darren Salt       | linux (or ds) at | nr. Ashington,
| Linux PC, Risc PC | youmustbejoking  | Northumberland
| No Wodniws here   | demon co uk      | Toon Army
|   <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/> (PGP 2.6, GPG keys)

To shoot a mime, do you use a silencer?