Re: [desktop] Unix configuration nightmare

 Branden> On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 10:09:58PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
 >> Time for a third opinion: I think your setup circumvents the problem
 >> (parsing XF86Config) _very_ nicely with little overhead. It allows me
 >> to customize any section I want while still letting debconf handle the
 >> rest. Basically I just have to copy it and move it outside of the debconf
 >> part.

 Branden> Well, that was the use case I had in mind when I wrote
 Branden> XFree86's debconf support, but judging by the dozens of
 Branden> config files I've seen, that's not the use case in widest
 Branden> deployment.

 Branden> Cutting and pasting a block of text is Too Hard.

	Perhaps you should add that to the comment: that the unit to
 copy is a section; and any section may be copied at will.

 Branden> The scenario you enjoy will die, because People Will Not
 Branden> Read.  It's also arguably a violation of way Debconf is
 Branden> supposed to work (there's not supposed to be any such thing
 Branden> as a "debconf area", and for files that aren't as
 Branden> potentially insanely complex as XF86Config, I agree), so I'm
 Branden> not getting any support from the Orthodox Church of Debconf,
 Branden> either.

	Perhaps the solution is to grab the area between the debconf
 markers, store a md5sum of that area, and act like dpkg does with
 conffiles: allow the user to accept, refuse, view diffs, of the
 section inside the debconf area.
	Once I get ucf cleaned up and insert the diff3 functionality
 in there, you can use ucf to really preserve user changes.

 People will do tomorrow what they did today because that is what they
 did yesterday.