Re: [desktop] Unix configuration nightmare

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 18:44, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:57:58AM +0200, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
>
> > With debconf, there is a tendency to have 'please do not change this file'
> > again - see XFree, for instance. Yes, writing lossless configfile parser
> > is not trivial, but this would imho be the only way.
>
> This is not by any means the only way.  One excellent option is to mimick
> the conffile mechanism using debconf, so that the user is only prompted if
> they have actually edited the configuration file.  If they haven't, then
> their existing configuration is overwritten with the updated one.  If they
> have, then they are prompted about the correct action to take.

Don't see what you mean here.

If the user has not changed the config file --> we do whatever we like,
yes.

If the user *has* changed the config file, the config file will have to
be parsed - after all, editing the configfile should not cause it to be
just impossible to use the menu driven configuration.

cheers
-- vbi

--
this email is protected by a digital signature   http://fortytwo.ch/gpg